Adult volunteers bring important knowledge and life skills with them. We provide training programs that enable adult volunteers to apply their experience to their role in Girl Scouting, learn the methods and materials special to Girl Scouting, and expand their own abilities in ways personally useful in the job market. You must register before you can attend a training session.
Some helpful hints:
- REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Usually training registration closes one week before the scheduled session. However, First Aid/CPR classes close two weeks before to allow time to complete the online portion of the training. During peak recruitment periods in the fall and spring, New Leader trainings may remain open until the day before the session. The closing date for registration is listed on the website posting.
- LATE REGISTRATION: Even after the course registration period ends, there may be room in the session for additional registrants. Contact the council Training Specialist (by phone 401-331-4500 or 800- 331-0149, ext. 1407 or by email Lcrowell@gssne.org) to see if late registration is possible.
- COURSE SIZE: Minimum and maximum numbers for training sessions are listed on the website posting. If a course is cancelled because of low enrollment, every effort will be made to place those who registered in another session.
- CONFIRMATION: An email confirmation will be sent by the Registration Department.
- DIRECTIONS: Directions to the training site are on the events calendar and events list under a link called MAP.
- REFUNDS: Most GSSNE trainings charge no fee, but camping sessions and First Aid/CPR do. In those cases, refunds will be made if the council is notified before the date the registration closes.
- CANCELLATIONS DUE TO WEATHER: When possible and if time allows, registrants for training sessions will be notified by email/phone if the session is canceled due to weather. If the council office is closed, local TV stations will post the notification and it will also be posted on the council Facebook page and the council website.
- CHILD CARE: Please do not bring children to training sessions unless childcare arrangements are specifically mentioned for that course.
- FINANCIAL AID: Confidential financial aid (based on financial need) is always available for courses where a fee is charged. Please contact the council office (by phone 401-331-4500 or 800 331-0149 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org) for forms and procedures
- Girl Scouting 101 – This is an online video prepared by GSUSA. Click HERE to access it. The video takes about 45 minutes to complete, but you may view it one segment at a time. Once you have completed it, GSUSA will notify GSSNE electronically.
- Troop Leadership Training - This training is designed to get you started as a Girl Scout leader and explains the Girl Scout program elements, troop organization, and more. We recommend you complete the Troop Leadership Training ONLINE in one session (approximately 45-90 minutes, depending on your pace). Before you start, please download the Troop Leadership Manual. You will want to follow along in the manual as you watch the training video. When you are finished, please fill in the verification form; it will come directly to the council office and we will record your course completion.
- Age Level Change, Brownie to Junior Training - This course prepares Brownie Leaders to take their troop to the next level > Junior Girl Scouts. In addition to covering program options, the course covers the emotional and social development of Junior Girl Scouts and the implications of this for "Girl-Led" troops. Also covered are the leadership awards which begin at this level and the opportunities for council committee participation. We recommend you complete the Age Level Change, Brownie to Junior Training in one session (approximately 25-40 minutes, depending on your pace). Before you start, please download the Age Level Change, Brownie to Junior Manual. You will want to follow along in the manual as you watch the training video. When you are finished, please fill in the verification form; it will come directly to the council office and we will record your course completion.
Have questions? Please don't hesitate to call us
at 401.331.4500 or 800.331.0149 should you have any questions.
Volunteers who complete this training will be eligible to spend weekends at Camp Hoffman as Rangers, people who are on-call to answer questions and help troops and groups using the facilities. This training is limited to adults who have completed Troop Camp Training.