DEADLINE EXTENDED! Grant Opportunity! CVS Health - Youth Tobacco Prevention PSA Campaign Launch!
UPDATE! 7.19.17 - To help some organizations who need a little extra time to put the finishing touches on their videos, CVS Health has extended the PSA submission deadline to August 2nd at 5:00 pm EST.
Also, here is some helpful sample stats and framework for anyone that needs some inspiration for their video!
1. Stats Story
- Youth smoking statistics can tell a very powerful story. Youth can depict the following stats in a creative and compelling way:
- Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
- Every year, tobacco kills more than 480,000 Americans and six million people worldwide. The vast majority started smoking as children.
- 580 kids become regular smokers every day. One in three of them will die an early death as a result.
- Ninety percent of adult smokers begin while in their teens, or earlier; and two-thirds become regular, daily smokers before they reach the age of 19.
2. The Reasons Why
Positive reminders of why youth want to stay smoke-free is an important way encourage other youth to never start. Youth can explain reasons why they want to be the first tobacco-free generation, and how living a tobacco-free life will help them, their family and their friends.
3. Dangers of Smoking
Smoking takes a real toll on a person’s health, appearance, and lifestyle. Youth can raise awareness of the following harmful effects of smoking: Smoking can seriously harm kids while they are still young. Aside from the immediate bad breath, irritated eyes and throat and increased heartbeat and blood pressure, short-term harms from youth smoking include respiratory problems, reduced immune function, increased illness, tooth decay, gum disease and pre-cancerous gene mutations.
4. E-Cigarette Myths
Many youth have a misunderstanding of the dangers of e-cigarettes. Youth can help clear up misconceptions by relaying these myths vs. facts:
- Like tobacco cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes, contain nicotine. This chemical is highly addictive, especially in young people whose brains are still developing.
- The liquid inside e-cigarettes is poisonous. Drinking or touching it can be toxic.
- Tests on e-cigarettes have shown that some contain toxic chemicals, including formaldehyde—a chemical that is believed to cause cancer.
- The packaging of e-cigarettes is often targeted toward children, with tie-ins to celebrities, sports, and music and with sweet, candy-like flavors.
For more inspiration and information, visit http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/.
CVS Health, WPRI and the Pawtucket Red Sox are joining forces for the third year of Community Heroes, a program that will provide $55,000 in grants to Rhode Island nonprofits. All three organizations are committed to helping youth lead tobacco-free lives. That is why this year’s grant program will be a Public Service Announcement campaign where youth can create a 30- or 60-second video on what it means for them to be the first tobacco free generation.
After-school programs, youth enrichment programs and other youth-focused or tobacco-prevention nonprofit organizations have been invited to have their youth submit videos starting Monday, June 26 through Wednesday July 26. And this means we need YOU, our incredible go-getters and leaders in the community, to send in your Girl Scout submissions! After all submissions are reviewed, ten nonprofits whose videos best align with the theme will be chosen to receive $5,000 each! That is $5,000 that GSSNE can utilize to help support new and exciting programming for girls, as well as provide finanical support for those girls that otherwise wouldn't be able to experience all that Girl Scouting has to offer. Help us change the world and submit your video so we can be in the running to receive one of the ten grants awarded!
The winning nonprofits will be announced on August 7, and community members will then have the chance to pick one of these ten organizations to receive an additional $5,000 bonus grant!
More details, including rules and submission guidelines are available HERE!